Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes mellitus or simply diabetes is one of the most common diseases. Particularly in women. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the number of diabetic patients is growing day by day.
It is a horrible fact that in 2015, about 30.3 million Americans have diabetes. Another disturbing fact is that most of this diabetic population is ignorant of their diabetes. This fact means that diabetes is a silent killer. In this article, we will discuss diabetes and diabetes symptoms in women. We will also talk a little bit about the risk factors and diabetes treatment. So let’s dig into it!
Diabetes and its Types
Diabetes Mellitus is a disorder in which either the pancreas stops making insulin. It is a secretion which converts the glucose in the blood into energy that is usable by cells. The body cannot consume insulin efficiently and adequately. Commonly two main types of diabetes are type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
1- Type 1 diabetes
Our immune system destroys the cells that are producing insulin. It results in less or no insulin production that causes a low sugar level in our blood. Type 1 diabetes is less often type. But it also requires attention.
2- Type 2 diabetes
Insulin, prepared by the pancreas, is not adequately utilized. The result is a high sugar level. In such a situation, the body becomes resistant to insulin. Type 2 diabetes symptoms include a high sugar level. That may lead to frequent urination or dehydration. This type of diabetes is the most common type. It is the most diagnosed type in adults and teenagers.
Read Also: How much Caffeine in a Cup of Coffee
Symptoms of Diabetes in Women
- The rate diagnosis of diabetes in women is more than that of men. The focus of this article is to discuss diabetes symptoms in women. Here are some symptoms of diabetes in women.
- Vaginal and oral fungal infections are some main symptoms of diabetes in women. This problem is due to the reason that a high glucose level in the blood. It promotes fungal growth. Vaginal yeast infections result in itching in the vagina. It increased pain during sexual intercourse.
- Vaginal infection may also spread to the urinary tract. That leads to pain in urination and may also result in kidney ailments.
- Type 2 diabetes symptoms include frequent peeing and as result dehydration. In such a situation, people make a mistake that they take juices and other soda drinks. To quench their thrust. In results in an increase of sugar in the body that leads to a worse situation.
- One of the diabetes symptoms in women is Polycystic ovary syndrome. That results in irregular periods, weight gain, and infertility.
- One of the type 1 diabetes symptoms is weight loss. It is due to the reason that when your body does not get energy from glucose in the blood. It starts eating fats and body muscles that results in weight loss.
- Other symptoms include fatigue, slow healing of wounds, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea, and dark patches on the skin.
Gestational diabetes is not a type of diabetes. It is also a situation in pregnancy in which sugar level in pregnant women is not at a healthy level. The pregnancy hormones interact with insulin. This interaction increases the utilization of glucose into energy. To fulfill the energy needs of both the mother and the baby. But in some pregnancies, the sugar level in blood is not sufficient to meet the needs of both the mother and the baby. Such kind of situation is called “Gestational Diabetes.” Such type of problem usually goes away with childbirth.
Prediabetes is a stage of growing diabetes. In prediabetes, the blood sugar level is more than that of a normal and healthy level. But it is less than that of type 2 diabetic level. Thus, prediabetes is a stage between the average level and diabetic level. If we diagnose prediabetes in time. There are little chances that the diagnosed person will develop type 2 diabetes. About 86% of the American population has prediabetes. But the majority of them are ignorant of their prediabetes.
2- Diabetes Treatments
No diabetes treatment can cure and eliminate diabetes permanently. But surely, you can control the sugar level and thus, diabetes. At the early stage, you should consider managing your diabetes without using pills and insulin because if you do use insulin excessively. You are entirely dependent upon these drugs. So let’s get started!
Also Visit: Diabetes Symptoms in Women
First of all, you should be aware of your diabetes level if your diabetes level in blood is low enough to be maintained without insulin. You should try not to use insulin as long as you can. The best method to control your diabetes is to take care of your diet and lifestyle. For a diabetic patient, every calorie counts. So, be careful about food. Try to go for a walk daily and do little workout but do not try anything that is tiring for your body and muscles.
If you go for medication, there are many medicines and pills available in the market that work a lot for control of diabetes. There are two types of pills for diabetes. The first one is those which are used to boost the production of insulin from the pancreas. The other ones are those who make the body to respond better to insulin.
There may also be ampules and inject-able medicines for diabetes patients. Insulin is one of the most used drugs for diabetes. Other injections are used with the purpose to increase the production of insulin. Decrease the amount of glucagon (a hormone that is secreted by the liver and is responsible for the sugar level in blood). The following type of injections is collectively known as “Incretin Mimetics.”
Risk Factors in Women for Diabetes
The women will be more likely to get diabetes. if they,
- A family history of diabetes.
- Are overweightHave age of more than 45 years.
- Ever had gestational diabetes.
- Have prediabetes.
- Do not exercise regularly.
Now, it’s time to summarize the discussion of diabetes symptoms in women. If you feel that above-described symptoms are present in you. You should visit your doctor and check. If you do not have prediabetes. Try to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Workout daily according to your food intake.